I’m doing a little bit better at making sure I eat this week. Let’s see, on Monday I had some brown rice with leftover chicken and asparagus. On Tuesday I skipped lunch and was in a hurry all day (For shame! For Shame!) Yesterday I had the best of intentions to make myself a fabulous lunch, but when I found out we were out of garbanzo beans, that fell through and I had a bagel with jam. Yeah…I need to keep working on this.
Today however, I was craving tofu, and just happened to have a bunch of veggies that needed to be used soon. I threw together a simple marinade for the tofu and used some left over brown rice from Mondays leftovers.
Easy Soy Honey Tofu Stir Fry
Extra Firm Tofu (I use about a quarter of a package for just myself)
Veggies (whatever you have on hand)
Cooked Brown rice
For the sauce:
1/2 c soy sauce
1/2 c water
1 T sesame oil
small squirt of sriracha
2 cloves garlic
1 inch chunk of ginger
1) Press your tofu. I wrap mine in a kitchen towel and place a cast iron skillet on top of it. Leave it for 15 minutes of so and a great deal of water will press out. This will change the texture of the finished tofu and make it a little less mushy.
2) While your are waiting, mix together your sauce ingredients. Mince the garlic and ginger, or just push them both through a garlic press. (Oh yeah…I am that lazy). Use the sriracha to your liking. If you like a little more spice, crank it up.
3) Slice your tofu into triangles. I think it marinates better that way. Place your slices in a shallow dish and cover with the sauce.
4) Let the tofu sit for about 10 minutes while you chop your veggies. I used carrots, broccoli, spinach, and some peas that were left over from the boys’ lunch.
5) Heat a pan over med-high heat with a Tablespoon or so of oil.
6) When the pan is hot, add the tofu in a single layer. Check frequently and turn as they brown. Be careful not to let it burn. I like mine light brown and a little crispy at the edges. It takes about 5 minutes, turning a couple times throughout. Remove them from the pan.
7) Add veggies to the hot pan and stir fry for a couple minutes. Add a couple T of the marinade to flavor it and continue to stir fry until the veggies are soft.
8) Assemble veggies and tofu on the rice and chow down.